I haven’t met a Southeast Asian person who does not love a good morning glory stir-fried. It’s that good.
I love it all, I love the Indonesian/Malaysian version where they put dried shrimp paste in it, and of course I love the Thai version which is hotter, more garlicky, and lighter.
This recipe is for the Thai version.
Serves 2 (as a side dish)
What you need:
- 1 bunch morning glory (200 – 300 g), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 red chillis
- 1 teaspoon oil (traditionally we use more oil, but I’m trying to eat healthy these days)
- 1 teaspoon Thai soy bean paste (I use healthy boy brand)
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce (I use Maekrua brand)
- Pinch of sugar
How to put this together:
- Pound together garlic + red chillies, using mortar & pestle
- Put morning glory in a large bowl. Top this with garlic + chillies + soy bean paste + oyster sauce
- Heat oil in a pan until it’s very hot. You should see smoke rising from the pan
- Put morning glory & seasoning in the hot pan. Be careful of flames from splashed hot oil.
- Stir-fry very quickly, about 10-15 seconds
- Serve immediately