This, and curry crab, are my all time favourites when we go out for seafood feast back in Thailand. The sauce goes amazingly with hot steamed rice. Yum yum yum
What you need:
- 400g squid tube (approx. 10 medium tubes), cut into chunky pieces
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1-2 red chillies, minced
- 2 salty egg yolks (uncooked), chopped up into small pieces then pound to a paste
- 4 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Thai chilli paste (Nam Prik Pao)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 spring onions, cut into 1 inch chunks
How to put this together:
- Mix together egg yolks paste + water + oyster sauce + soy sauce + Thai chilli past + sugar + pepper powder. This is the seasoning sauce.
- Boil a pot of water, add squid pieces. Cook very briefly – drain before squid pieces are cooked
- Heat 1 tsp oil on high heat. When the oil is hot, add capsicum + 1/2 tsp soy sauce. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tsp oil on medium heat. Add minced garlic + chillies. Fry until fragrant.
- Add squid, fry for a few seconds
- Add seasoning sauce, stir-fry well to make sure the sauce coats all the squid pieces. Add a bit more water if it’s too dry.
- Add capsicum. Stir-fry until everything is cooked. Careful not to overcook squid or capsicum.
- Add spring onions. Mix briefly.
- Serve with steamed rice