The most aromatic thing you’ll cook in your kitchen, and tastes so satisfying!
What you need:
- 500 g pork belly, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 eggs
- 10 cloves garlic
- 5 coriander roots
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp palm sugar
- 4 star anise
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce (+ more to taste)
How to put this together:
- Place eggs in a pot, add enough water to fully cover the eggs. Put on high heat, when the water starts to boil start the timer for 10 mins. Take off heat, pour out hot water, top up with tap water. Leave to cool. Peel off the shells.
- On medium heat, dry roast the star anise + cinnamon stick until fragrant
- Pound together garlic + coriander roots + white pepper powder
- Heat oil, add the paste above, fry until fragrant
- Add palm sugar, keep stirring, you want to caramelise it without burning it. Be very careful. You want a nice brown colour, but not burnt!
- Add pork belly, mix well to coat the paste
- Add 750ml water + roasted star anise + cinnamon stick
- Bring to boil, then pressure cook for 15 minutes
- Add hard boiled eggs (alternatively, if you don’t have pressure cooker, you can simmer the pork belly + eggs together for 1 – 1.5 hours)
- Season with soy sauce. Taste & season. The flavour should be sweet & salty
- Simmer on low flame for 30 minutes
- Serve with steamed rice!
Note: this tastes better each time you re-heat it as the flavour gets deeper & the colour gets darker