We just got back from glorious holiday in Sicily… where we enjoyed, on a daily basis, these lovely granita. They actually come in all sorts of flavour, the usual sour sorbetty flavours like lemon and strawberries. They also do coffee, pistachio, and almond flavours! And they’re EVERYWHERE!
People even have them for breakfast, with these soft citrussy to-die-for brioches…. ahhh…..
Anyway…. I found this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemon-granita-101906
…and it turned out perfecto!
What you need
- Ice cream machine
- 2-3 large lemons (enough for 1/2 cup lemon juice)
- 1 c water
- 1/3 c caster sugar
How to put this together
- Make sure your ice cream bowl has enough time in the freezer (according to manufacturer’s instruction) – we keep ours in the freezer always.
- Using a sharp knife, peel long thin slices of zest from 2 lemons. Careful not to take too much of the white bits (these are bitter)
- Squeeze 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Over medium heat, heat water + sugar until sugar dissolves
- Add in lemon zest. Leave to cool (or put the pot over ice bath)
- Once completely cool, add in lemon juice, and put in the fridge for 3-4 hours
- Churn in ice cream maker until it reaches the desired consistency (ours take 15-20 mins)
- Serve immediately
- Alternatively, if you want to serve it later – transfer to a container, and pack the granita tightly. Scrape with spoon when serving to get smooth fluffy lemony goodness.