I’m not a big fan of okra, because it’s quite slimy, but apparently they have loads of health benefits. More importantly, my hubby loves them.
The recipe is inspired by Rick Stein’s “India” cookbook, and the flavour is just amazing (if you don’t mind the sliminess)
What you need
- 450g okra, trim off the stem, and halved length-ways
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp garam masala
How to put this together
- Heat oil on medium heat, add onions, fry until soft and golden brown. This should take 5-7 mins.
- Add garlic. Fry until fragrant
- Add cumin powder + chilli powder + turmeric powder. Fry until fragrant
- Add okra + salt + lemon juice. Mix well.
- Cover & cook for a few minutes until the okra is almost cooked through. Add a splash of water if it’s too dry.
- Add garam masala, and cook, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- Serve immediately