Adapted from Paul Hollywood’s “How to bake” book
Makes : 2 small baguettes
What you need
- 200 g bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 150 ml cool water
- oilve oil
How to put this together
- Lightly oil a glass tray
- Put flour in mixing bowl. Add salt to one side of the bowl. Add yeast to the other side of the bowl.
- Using the paddle hook, start mixing on low speed
- Slowly add water. Continue mixing until it forms a rough dough
- Mix on low/medium speed for 5 mins. The dough should be glossy and elastic
- Tip the dough into oiled glass tray. brush some olive oil over the dough to keep it from drying out.
- Cover with tea towel, and leave for 1 hour, or until double in size.
- On a lightly floured work surface, tip out the dough (use a dough scraper to help).
- Divide the dough into 2 portions
- Roll each dough back & forth with your hands until the dough is roughly the length of your baking tray. Make sure the surface is well floured
- Place them on baguette tray. Cover with clean dry tea towel, and leave for 1 hour, or until double in size
- Put a roasting tray at the bottom of the oven, and heat the oven to 220 C
- Make a few slashes on the dough with a sharp knife or scissors
- Fill the roasting tray with hot water to create steam and put bread in the oven
- Bake for 20 mins
- Serve warm