The key to making this sauce is to NOT rush it. You want to slowly cook the onions & tomatoes to extract flavours over low heat.
Make a large batch, and keep in the freezer
Simply re-heat the sauce with a bit of water, add meat or vegetables and simmer until cooked.
Makes: sauce for 4 servings of curry
What you need
- 400 g Onions, chopped
- 400 g Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 5 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 3-5 Tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Salt
How to put this together
- Heat oil in a pan, on medium heat, add onions. Fry until translucent. Do not rush this step.
- Add garlic + ginger. Fry until fragrant
- Add tumeric powder + coriander powder + red chilli powder + cumin powder. Fry until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes. Fry until soft.
- Turn the heat down to low, and cook on low heat until the mixture has a jam consistency