These are traditionally served in single-portion clay pots in Thailand.
What you need
- 80g Dried Vermicelli (Glass noodles), soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1-2 cups Crab claws or Prawns
- 100g Bacon (unsmoked)
- 1 cup Chicken stock (or water)
- 2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Thai sweet soy sauce (or Kecap manis)
- 1 tsp Black peppercorn, crushed
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 5 slices Ginger
- 1 cup Celery, thinly sliced
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
How to put this together
- Make the dipping sauce by pounding together chillis + garlic. Add fish sauce + lime juice + sugar. Mix well, taste, and adjust flavour to your liking.
- Drain vermicelli, put in a bowl.
- Add chicken stock (or water) + oyster sauce + soy sauce + sesame oil + sweet soy sauce + black peppercorn
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add garlic + ginger. Fry until fragrant. Add to vermicelli.
- Mix vermicelli well with seasoning.
- Add crab claws (or prawns). Mix well. Leave to marinade for 15 mins.
- In a deep pan (not on heat), line the bottom with bacon.
- Put the pan on medium heat and cook the bacon for 30 seconds
- Pour vermicelli mixture into the pan. Turn the heat up to high, and bring to boil.
- Taste & season.
- Put the lid on, and turn the heat back down to medium.
- Keep cooking – checking every few mins – until most liquid evaporates
- Add sliced celery. Mix briefly.
- Put the lid back on. Cook until the celery is cooked to your liking.
- Take off the heat. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.