Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The cookies are soft & chewy & amazing. Use good quality chocolate chips – it makes a big difference!
Makes: 12 large cookies
What you need
- 110g Butter, at room temperature
- 170g Soft dark brown sugar (original recipe asks for soft light brown sugar, but I didn’t have any)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200g Plain flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 110g Dark chocolate chips (good quality)
How to put this together
- Preheat oven to 170 C
- In a stand mixer, using paddle attachment on medium speed, cream together butter + soft dark brown sugar until light & fluffy. About 8 mins. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add egg + vanilla extract. Mix well on medium speed.
- Turn mixer on low speed. Add flour + salt + baking soda. Mix well until you get a smooth dough. Don’t over-mix!
- Add chocolate chips. Mix briefly.
- Divide the mixture up into 12 equal portions (approx. 53-55g per portion)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put 6 cookie dough portions on the tray. Make sure they’re well spaced apart, as they will flatten out and spread
- Baking for 10-12 mins, or under gold brown around the edges and the shape is flat-ish.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the tray for a few mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool