Light & fluffy cheesecake
Adapted from this recipe : http://www.craftpassion.com/light-japanese-cheesecake/
What you need
- 180 g Philadelphia cream cheese (full fat), diced
- 4 Egg yolks
- 100 g Caster sugar (divided into 2 x 50g portions)
- 45 g Butter, diced
- 70 ml Milk (full fat)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 40 g Plain flour
- 15 g Cornflour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
How to put this together
- Line the bottom of 8″ round cake tin (with removable base). Line the sides with another strip of baking paper.
- Water-proof the base by wrapping the bottom bits with tin foil
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- In a double boiler, gently heat the cream cheese + butter + milk until smooth, continuously whisking to remove lumps.
- Take off heat.
- Add 50g caster sugar. Whisk to mix.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time. Whisk to mix.
- Add salt + lemon juice. Whisk to mix.
- Sift in plain flour + corn flour. Whisk to mix, removing lumps.
- In a clean bowl, add egg whites. Beat on low speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, and beat at high speed until the bubbles are small but still visible.
- Gradually add the remaining 50g caster sugar. Continue to beat at high speed until you get soft peaks
- Boil a pot/kettle of water
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture, 1/3 at a time, each time incorporating them gently with metal wire whisk.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Smooth the surface with spatula.
- Tap it firmly on the counter a few times to release bubbles.
- Put the cake tin in a larger tray, fill it with hot water. Bake in the water bath at the bottom-most rack at 200 C heat for 16 mins.
- Lower the heat to 140 C and bake for 20 mins (let the oven temperature drop gradually by itself)
- Turn the oven off and leave the cake in there for another 20 mins (let the oven temperature drop gradually by itself)
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 mins.
- Carefully remove the base, and peel off baking paper from the sides.
- Leave to cool completely, then chill.