Recipe adapted from http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/sicilian_sardine_and_fennel_pasta.html
What you need:
- 200 g Dried pasta (spaghetti, fettucine, linguine)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 120 g Tinned sardine in oil, drained (90g drained weight)
- 1 bulb Fennel, trim off the top (reserving the fronds), bulb thinly sliced
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp Currants (or raisins, sultanas)
- 2 Tbsp Pine nuts, pan toasted
- 2 Tbsp Bread crumbs, pan toasted
- Juice of half a lemon
How to put this together:
- Heat oil in a pan over low-medium heat. Add sliced fennel + onions. Fry slowly until they’re soft and caramelised. Don’t rush this step.
- Add garlic + chilli flakes + currants. Fry until fragrant.
- Add drained sardine. Mix well. Taste & season with salt
- Add pine nuts. Mix well.
- Add lemon juice. Mix well. Taste & season.
- Turn off the heat (unless you started cooking pasta while the sauce was simmering)
- Bring a large pan of water to boil with plenty of salt. Add pasta. Cook according to packet instructions, until al dente.
- Bring the sauce back up to heat, add pasta to the sauce with some pasta water. Mix well.
- Transfer pasta to serving plates. Sprinkle over toasted bread crumbs and garnish with picked fennel fronds. Serve immediately.