What you need
- 1 portion Homemade Massaman Curry paste (if you’re using store-bought curry paste, then check the packet for amount to use)
- 1 kg Beef brisket, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Lemongrass
- 800 ml Coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 4 Potatoes, peeled, washed, and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, pan roasted
- 2 Onions, cut into big chunks
- 3 Bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Tamarind concentrate
How to put this together
- Bring water to boil in a large pot, add salt +lemongrass + beef brisket. Simmer for 1.5 hours. Alternatively pressure cook for 30 mins. Drain just before you need to use them.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add curry paste. Fry until fragrant.
- Slowly add the thicker portion of coconut milk, fry until the oil splits, and you have a layer of oil simmering over curry paste.
- Add drained beef brisket. Mix well.
- Add remaining coconut milk + onions + peanuts + bay leaves. Mix well.
- Simmer until the meat has taken in the flavour and onions are soft.
- Taste and season with sugar + fish sauce + tamarind concentrate.
- Add potatoes. Simmer until potato is cooked through.
- This dish tastes better over time. Each time you re-heat it the flavour gets more intense.